Greetings to you!

Tremendous things are in store for you! Many inspirational treats await you! Inside this Scrumdiddlyuptious blog you will find mystic and marvelous surprises that will entrance, intrigue, & delight you beyond measure. So don't just sit there with your mouth open. Go on. FEED YOUR IMAGINATION!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Friday: Believe

When I was in undergraduate school, there was a guy on campus, who every Friday for all four years he was there, would carry red balloons around with him and greet everyone he met with "Happy Friday." I got to know him and he was so inspiring. Before college he had been in a severely bad car accident that resulted in multiple physical and cognitive disabilities. Even though it took away his talents as an athlete and set him back drastically physically and mentally, he was just so positive about life. And part of that positivity was recognizing that every Friday is a celebration. He had made it one more week!

Although he and I have lost touch, and I don't even remember his name, every Friday I think of him. 

Every Friday his positive spirit still reminds me that no matter what is going on in life at the moment, it is still a celebration to have made it through one more week.
I think he has forever changed my life and my outlook.

This Friday. I am celebrating these things that make me happy:

  1. Its Veteran's Day. This doesn't make me happy in the usual sense, but it makes me grateful. And I believe that gratitude goes above and beyond happiness. In fact, I don't think you can be truly happy without being grateful.
  2. New love. I love seeing my friends who have just gotten married or just had a baby. New love is an instant reminder of that feeling, and then you look over to your partner that you've been with for years, and you feel all gushy and butterfly like. And all of a sudden your reminded that each day, no matter how long you've been together, there is always the choice to fall into new love with your partner all over again.
  3. Also Old Love. I love seeing old couples that are obviously so happy and in love together after decades. It is inspiring. It is sweet. We all know there are days where liking our partners or being likable to our partners is difficult. To know that that is just a single day and not worth ruining the years or even decades to come... plus old couples are just so freakin' cute! 
  4. Dance parties when you are stuck in traffic. It makes me giggle. I don't care that other drivers think I'm crazy... I'm having a lot more fun than they are as they yell miserably at the car in front of them. 
  5. Audio books. I now have clients that are 130 miles away from each other. With the intense therapy I offer, I see my families a ton... so I am in the car a ton. And audio books make that fun! 
  6. Getting unexpected mail from a friend just because she knows that my illnesses have been giving me a really hard time lately. It is pretty lovely when people reach out. I don't think anyone realizes how even the littlest thought of support can mean. Its huge. 
  7. Paying it forward. I have a project in mind that combines a bit of #1, #2, and #6. Please see the bottom of this post. 
  8. Time with friends. Tomorrow I am hosting the second monthly art making party. It will be really nice to see a friend I haven't seen since graduation who is coming. Also I love making new friends and will be glad to see the ones that were at the last art making party in October, and to see some new ones too. 
  9. Art making time. Like I said, art making party! whoo-hoo!!!
  10. Believe. Whether it is believe in a spiritual being, believe in magic, believe in you... beliefs are so important, so worth it, and definitely help with the happiness factor. 
 



Something I believe in is the power of community, the power of a single act of random kindness and love. 

My young cousin, Meghan, just graduated from school and married her high school sweetheart, Jack, in the Summer. As soon as they were married, they moved from the furthest you could be on the East Coast of the States to the furthest you could be on the West Coast of the States, where they knew no one. All because her sweet new Marine husband was stationed there. And now he is in Afghanistan, where he will remain over the holidays. Meghan is very brave and very upbeat, but she doesn't have the support that she would have if she and Jack had been with their squadron for a while first, and she doesn't know anyone else in California other than the co-workers at the job she just got. And Jack is serving his country for the first time - completely new territory both actually and metaphorically. I know many friends and family that have gone through this, and they all say the love and support they received was a phenomenal part of getting through it. So this veterans day, I'm asking for your love and support. 

Wouldn't it be great to take a moment and just write a little note or make a sweet little piece of art to send to Meghan and/or Jack? Just something little, not anything big, not anything that will take much of your time... 
would you do that for me? for them?

if you are game for it, please send the letter/art/whatever to me (I'll send them all as carepackages) so that I can surprise Meghan and Jack by forwarding them on... on the envelope just say if it is for Meghan or Jack, so it gets to the right half of the couple. 

in care of:
Phoenix Peacock
423 South Dover Avenue
Lafayette, Colorado
80026
USA

You'd be so awesome if you did!


29 comments:

Janet said...

Count me in! I'll send you a little art for your cousin or her husband.

And I like to think that HB and I are one of those cute older couples. We still hold hands when we walk together and he makes me laugh all the time.

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Love your creations ~ lovely colors and painting and message! ~ ~ thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Me again ~ Will try and do something for Meghan and Jack ~ ^_^

wednesday said...

Every week I am brought up short by your Happiness post, and it is such a wonderful moment to see it and then think about all the things in my own life I have to be happy about. Thanks for giving us all that every week, as if your life weren't packed full with giving already.

Must think about something to send for Meagan and Jack.

hastingshall2 said...

Love your b-e-l-i-e-v-e banners. Also, I am so touched by your compassion for young Meghan left out there on the west coast. Fifty-four plus years ago I was in exactly the same boat. Well, it was my newly acquired husband who was in the ship and off to the western Pacific, leaving me in San Diego. I only knew a handful of people and had really only just met them. I understand how Meghan can be feeling. I am going to make a card for her and will be sending it out to you in a day or so. Faye

Lesley said...

Too bad you can't find that guy...Facebook is powerful that way...so you can thank him for enriching your life so! :) Thanks for the nice story. and the reminder....

Mary C. Nasser said...

Beautiful banner and post. :)

Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

iamrushmore said...

LOVE all the color and pattern and texture in your banner!

Sunshineshelle said...

This is a lovely post & I love the fact you care so much you are enlisting your bloggy arty friends to embrace someone who needs a little support or long distance hug :) Count me in, not sure as to what but I'll have a think ;) I am sorry to hear you lost someone in the service, sorry my post bought tears too, it's people like you that bear the burden as well as those who go off to fight, I'm sending you a big hug for Remembrance Day xoxo

NatashaMay said...

That is so sweet of you. :) And I love the banner you've made. Really fun!

Victoria said...

Super beautiful post..your "beleive' art is powerful and gorgeous and uplifting.. What a wonderful tribute and gestures to your loved ones..fabulous! May they recieve many sparkles in many forms!
HUgs
victoria

Anne said...

I love your tribute. It is absolutely fabulous!

Geckostone said...

What a lovely post! I love all your things you are thankful for, inspiring thoughts! I will try to come up with a little something for Meghan or Jack! Deb

Christine said...

This is a beautiful post! Inspiring Art.

laurie said...

what a beautiful post, I beleive very strongly in thepower of positive thinking and the power of love.This sounds like a wonderful idea, if you send me your address I will mail the art to you for them. I did something like this a few months ago for a bloggers child who had had surgery, different situation but good thoughts and positve caring acts are never a bad thing! Count me in,

laurie said...

OOps! I see the address now,,I 'll send this off Monday!!

Teri C said...

This is such a beautiful post, I have tears in my eyes. Am going to paint something right now. Thanks.

JKW said...

One of the quilters I follow has this idea of a word that will suit all year long, last year my word was Believe, this year it's 2 words Do It. . . another year is coming up. It is exciting to commit to a new word each year. I love your post and how you decorated up your Believe. Beautiful colors. Blessings, Janet PPF

Jenn said...

I love your list of happy things!!! Old love and Car dancing - YES!!!! Your Believe Banner is most awesome as is your idea to pay it forward to Meghan!!! What a warm loving heart you have!!!!

shedreamsofthesea said...

beautiful post and art, I must think of something to send. xo

hastingshall2 said...

Hi, I got a card in the mail today heading your way for Meghan. Hope she enjoys it. Faye

Denni said...

What a great idea! I'll try and send something to you on Monday.
Love the banner and inspiring post!

Gloria said...

Thank you for your comments on my "Elephant Story" I love your spiritual and kind heart! I will make a card for each.

Elisa said...

This is such an inspiring post! I love how you list the things that makes you happy. This is very essential in times of unhappiness that one may feel from time to time. I love your BELIEVE artwork. Very awesome and lovely. I will definitely send some support to your cousin and Jack. They are brave couples and I wish them both well! Elisa from harmonythoughts.com

MollyGirl said...

LOVE the colors and the sentiment!

EVA said...

Beautiful banner! And very touching and inspiring post.

Debbie said...

Thank you for your inspiring blog. I love your banner -- lovely colors, and a really wonderful post.

art2cee2 said...

this is such a wonderful thing to feel...thankfulness for another Friday. Very inspiring post. :-)

peggy aplSEEDS said...

what a beautiful story about the guy with balloons! happy PPF and thanks for sharing!
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS